Friday, October 2, 2009

"How's married life?!?"

Random people keep asking me "how's married life?!" Honestly? Look at our lives right now. Here's how "married life" is:
We spent three days together, at home, after our wedding. Three days. That's a holiday weekend for most of you. In that time, I hobbled around and tried desperately to find something - anything - sexy about my boot. Not so much on this new bride. Hindrance, not hot.
After three days, we both went back to work. Had to. Remember, this is, after all, a depression.
One week after The Wedding, we had a check-up at the ortho dr., where, of course, we scheduled my surgery. Since then we've been planning and prepping for me to be in a cast for 8 to 10 to 12 weeks, then in a boot - again - for 8 to 10 to 12 more. We've bought a deep freezer, grocery shopped for 2 months at a time, moved furniture, bought new gates and moved tie-outs for the dog, looked for people to come watch me sleep so Gary can go to work... and the list goes on. We have not slowed down one second since The Wedding, it's just different stuff. We are both exhausted, but not in the "traditional" honeymoon way. Our days together are really no different than they've been since we've known each other - about the same as they've been for the last seven, five, three, or less years. We've got to take care of ourselves, and be there to help each other. And we're doing it.
I will say though that after being together this long, most things didn't change when we said I do. But some did.
I have a much deeper respect for Gary than I had before. I adore him on a completely different level than I did even 6 weeks ago. We haven't even received our marriage license back yet, and still, my commitment to him feels so much stronger than it ever did, more than I knew it could be.
So how is married life? Not much different than not-married life with us, really. Commitment is commitment. Love is love. Being there is being there. And we've both been here for a long time - and plan to be here for a long time to come.
I am sad we had to start our marriage like this. I would have rather worn smokin' hot heels than the boot, cute little lingerie rather than a cast, and anything's got to be sexier than crutches.
But still... I know us and I know we'll get through this. We'll push and push and push until one day we wake up and we have more time and space to focus on us. I have no fear. We can do that in 6 weeks, 6 months or in 6 years - but I know no matter what we'll make it work. So to answer your question honestly, people - that's how married life is for us.

No comments: